Decal declarations

29 May

“There’s a difference between a philosophy and a bumper sticker.”

~ Charles M. Schulz

According to the CIA World Factbook, Honduras is 97% Catholic and 3% Protestant. I think this is most evident when watching traffic.

Day to day, I have noticed a lot of conversations are peppered with the phrases ‘God willing’ and ‘thank the Lord’, however it’s when driving around that Honduras’ Catholicism really stands out.

Religious stickers and decals abound. I haven’t done a proper count but at a very conservative estimate I would think at least one in three cars has this rosary sticker on the back window:

Rosary

And the taxis and buses take it to a whole other level. Huge decals plastered on their rear windows or big white lettering across their windscreen tint strips proudly declare their faith.

  • Dios es amor
    (God is love)
  • Jesús te ama
    (Jesus loves you)
  • Jesús me ama
    (Jesus loves me)
  • Jesús es mi pastor
    (Jesus is my shepherd)
  • God is Lord
    (This one was in English)
  • Yo manejo, Dios me guía
    (I drive, God guides me)
  • Cristo vive
    (Christ lives)

And my personal favourite:

  • Propiedad de Jesús Cristo
    (Property of Jesus Christ)

I’m guessing this last one is meant to discourage thieves. Although if 97% of the country is Catholic and the other 3% is Protestant, the thieves are probably religious too, so I’m not sure if it’s much of a deterrent.

Every afternoon I wait outside the UN building, keeping an eye out for my ‘Dios es amor taxi coming down the street. Occasionally my other driver picks me up, although he just has the ubiquitous ‘Taxi’ marked on his tint strip.

It’s really silly, but I often find myself humming the opening lines to The Fray’s ‘You found me’ while I’m standing there.

I found God, on the corner of 1st and Amistad…

Although in my song, it’s the corner of Avenida República de Panamá and 2 Avenida, which doesn’t fit the tune so well.

Advertisements

Talk to me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: